LA VERNE, CA – The City of La Verne is excited to offer a range of aquatic programs for residents this season. The Las Flores Park Aquatics Center is currently open for scheduled programming throughout the week, as well as recreational swimming every Friday.
This summer, the City is offering a robust list of swimming lessons for kids of all ages and abilities. The following classes will be held at various times throughout the week until August 19:
- Parent and Me (3-36 months) - Depending on ability, children will learn to blow bubbles, kick feet and hold on to a kickboard. All participants must be accompanied by an adult.
- Water Tots (3-5 years) - Skills include going under water, floating and playing aquatics games.
- Level I (4-16 years) - Participants will work towards independently floating, kicking and alternating arm and leg action.
- Level II (4-16 years) - Participants will work towards independently swimming front crawl, backstroke and front and back glides. Students will also learn how to change direction while swimming.
- Level III (4-16 years) - Learn side breathing on front crawl, elementary backstroke, dolphin kick, diving and treading water.
- Level IV (4-18 years) - Develop all types of strokes and become familiar with treading water and CPR tactics.
- Competitive Swimming (4-18 years) - Participants will refine and enhance efficiency for all strokes. Students will develop introductory springboard skills, practice alternate breathing, review and strengthen basic water safety skills and learn in-water rescue techniques.
Classes are filling up quickly, so register today through the City’s online registration portal. Registration fees start at $65 per two-week class. One-on-one private swimming lessons are also available for residents beginning July 11 through August 15. Interested participants must sign up in-person at the Community Services Office located in City Hall.
“Our programs offer more than just swimming techniques. Through our classes, students have an opportunity to stay active while learning leadership skills and practicing teamwork,” said Community Services Supervisor Chad Peterson. “Summertime at the pool always finds a way to bring our community together, and we are proud to be the driving force of that.”
In addition to classes, the pool is open for recreational swimming every Friday between 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Adult lap swimming is available on weekdays in the morning from 8:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and in the evening from 4:30 p.m. to 7:20 p.m.
Come join the Gators Swim Team! Participants between 5 and 17 years old will learn skills such as team involvement and strokes for the competitive swimmer. This is a great introduction to the summer swim season. Each participant must meet certain swim requirements to join the program, and swimmers will be tested on the first day of practice. For more information, please contact the Community Services Department at (909) 596-8700.
Contact: Yvonne Duran
Telephone: (909) 596-8700