In-Town Businesses (Other than home)

Certificate of Use and Occupancy

The City of La Verne requires that changes in tenants, changes in use, or building changes be approved in accordance with section 307 of the Uniform Building Code as adopted by the City of La Verne and Chapter 18.16 of the La Verne Municipal Code. 

New businesses or businesses that change location are required to apply for a Certificate of Occupancy (C.of O.).  This permit can be obtained from the Community Development Department at (909) 596-8706 and is required in addition to the City of La Verne business license. 


The fee for the C. of O. is based on the square footage (sq. ft.) of your building space.  Building spaces less than 2,000 sq. ft. have a fee of $125.00 and building spaces more than 2,000 sq. ft. have a fee of $225.00.  This is a one-time fee and will be valid until there is a change of location, change of business, or change of business practices that were not included in the original application.

Planning and Zoning Issues

Contact the City of La Verne Planning Department at (909) 596-8706 to inquire about zoning, banners, and sign requirements for your type of business.  The City has a Sign Ordinance.  If you plan to install a new sign or make changes to an existing sign, please contact the City before you design or erect any signs.