University of La Verne
The University of La Verne was founded in 1891 as Lordsburg College by members of the Church of the Brethren who moved west from the Midwest to settle a new land. Both the College and the agricultural community were renamed La Verne in 1917, and in the 1920s and 1930s found three-quarters of the student body in teacher education. The next three decades saw campus facilities multiply fourfold, the Board of Trustees become independent of church control, and the student body increase and become more cosmopolitan without the College losing its commitment to service or its dedication to sound, people-centered, values-oriented education.
In 1955 the College was accredited by the Western College Association. A decade later it awarded its first master's degree, and in 1979 it conferred its first doctorate. In 1969 La Verne began offering degree programs off campus, and the following year it opened its College of Law. Reflecting these profound changes in size and scope, the College reorganized in 1977 as the University of La Verne. Today the University of La Verne is comprised of two colleges and three schools: The College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business and Economics, the School Organizational Management, the College of Law, and the School of Continuing Education. The University of La Verne provides on-line information on academic programs, admissions, human resources, and public relations. For information regarding the University of La Verne, please visit their home page at http://www.ulv.edu.